8th December 2015 Douglas was born in 1897 in Beckingham, Lincolnshire. In 1911 he was living in Stamford at the home of his uncle and aunt, William and Margaret (nee Seels) Scotney at 13 Wharf Road. His aunt was his mother’s sister who was born in Newark, Lincolnshire. His Uncle William was a hotel bus driver. He was born in Collyweston , Northants. In 1911 Douglas’ parents were living at the Stamford Hotel Tap, St Mary’s Street. They were Joseph and Louisa (nee Seels) Bannister. Father was born in Bourne and his mother in Newark. Joseph was an ostler and Louisa was the manager of the Tap. Douglas’ sister, Winifred Seels Bannister (2) was living with them. In 1901 Douglas was living with his parents as visitors at the home of his maternal grandparents , William and Elizabeth Seels, at 36 Sleaford Road, Beckingham. Douglas’ civilian employment was with the Brothers Electrical Engineers inStamford as a storeman and then as an ironmonger’s assistant. When Douglas was called up for war service in 1917 he was living at 20 Water Street, Stamford. His parents were living at Rose Cottage, Braceborough. He was enlisted as Private Douglas Bannister (43367) on 19th May 1917 in Grantham into the Lincolnshire Regiment Training Reserve Battalion 80. He was posted on 25th May 1917 and then transferred to the Lincs Depot on 4th June because he was unfit. He served only 141 days and was discharged on 6th October 1917. In his medical he was declared to have B (iii) fitness. He had lost his right eye in an accident when playing with rusty wire in Oakham at the age of four in 1902. The eye was removed at the Leicester Royal Infirmary. He was discharged to an address in Peterborough – 188 Palmerston Road, Woodston. He was declared of good character and was awarded a Silver War Badge. In 1926 he married Ethel Mary Harwood in St. Ives, Huntingdonshire and their son, Gerald H. was born in Coventry, Warwickshire.