8th December 2015 Arthur Frederick Martin– The Black Horse, 59 Scotgate The Martins moved to Stamford from Eastwood, Nottinghamshire in about 1910. Christopher Martin, Arthur’s father, had worked in a coal mine but then took the licence of The Black Horse, a small public house near the crossroad on Scotgate. At the time there was a building to the right, demolished when the road was widened. The Black Horse, 59 Scotgate Arthur, an only child, was born in July 1894 and was 16 years old in 1911. No occupation was given on the census but he became a moulder and fitter before he joined a Reserve Battalion of the Royal Naval Division on 15th May 1917. At this time his official papers gave his address as 30 West Street, Stamford which is a bit of a mystery because there were only 16 houses in West Street! His father is still listed at the Black Horse in Dolby’s Directory in 1916 although he probably died at some stage during the War because Arthur’s mother replaces his father as next of kin. In August 1917 he was drafted to the Nelson Battalion of the British Expeditionary Force and promoted to the rank of Able Seaman – although the Royal Naval Division actually fought on land alongside the army. Arthur received a gunshot wound to his left arm in November and was hospitalised in Etaples before being invalided home. After his return to action in March 1918, he was drafted to the Hawke Battalion then was wounded again, this time in his legs, in September 1918. This was probably at the Battle of Brocourt-Queant, part of the second Arras campaign. He was treated at hospital in Edgbaston then demobilised in January 1919. After the War, Arthur presumably returned to Stamford. He married Florence Hennessey in 1931 and died in the Stamford District aged 62 years in 1957.