Thomas William Newbon

Census Address: 1 Brooks Court
Place of Birth: Stamford
Date of Birth: 1899
Enlistment Address: --
Regiment: 2/5th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment
Service Numbers: --
Place of Death: Wandsworth
Date Died: 1968
Brooks Court

Thomas William Newbon

Thomas was born in Stamford in 1899. He lived at 1 Brooks Court with his father William, mother Harriet, brother Frank. In 1911 William was a postman and Frank a shoemaker with Thomas still at school.

Frank served in the Lincolnshire regiment but Thomas was probably too young.

He married Ruth Ivett in 1924 and died in Wandsworth in 1968.

Thomas William Newbon

1. Thomas William Newbon

Private Frank Newbon

2. Private Frank Newbon

Frank and William Newbon

3. Frank (left) and Thomas Newbon outside the Boot Shop at 50 Broad Street

Amendments and Addenda

Thomas William Newbon
Thomas William (Billie) was born 1st June 1899. He was the third son of William Bettles Newbon and Harriet Coleman. His brother Frank was born 25th March 1893. Another brother, Robert, born in 1896 sadly only lived for about 8 months. He also had a sister Hilda “May” Newbon born in 1903. He may have started working for the Post Office like his father (see picture) but during the Great War, Billie looked after The Boot Shop, 50 Broad Street Stamford, while his brother Frank was away fighting (see below).
In December 1924 Billie married Ruth Ivett from Borderville, Stamford (whose brother was killed in the War - see Fred Ivett). They had a son David Bettles Newbon who was born in Stamford on 4th July 1925 and shortly after moved to Wandsworth where he was a Master Boot and Shoe Repairer in 1939. He died in 1968.
Frank Newbon
Frank was an apprentice shoe maker to Henry Deer in Water Street, Stamford. In 1911 he moved in 50 Broad Street to start a business as a boot maker and shoe repairer with his brother, Billie. They shared the flat upstairs with their mother and sister. In 1914 he joined the army as a Private in the 2/5 Lincolnshire Regiment. He was posted to Ypres where he was wounded. He was buried under tons of earth after a shell fell close to the trench. He was dug out by his comrades but suffered damage to his hearing. He was posted to Fermoy Barracks, County Cork in 1916 to help to deal with the Irish uprising.
When he was demobbed, he went back to the boot shop to help Billie who had kept the shop open.
In 1922 he married Edith Kate Smith from Market Deeping and they had a daughter, Audrey. Frank also had three granddaughters and five great grandchildren. He played football locally and was a big supporter of the ‘Daniels’. He supplied studs, free of charge, for the players’ boots for many years. He kept the business going until ill health forced him to retire in 1961. 50 years of trading in the town had made him a well- known and respected man. Frank’s hearing failed slowly through his life until he lost all hearing in his late fifties. He attended North Street Chapel for many years until his hearing failed. He was always a quiet gentle man who loved animals and his family.