Burrell’s Court, West Street This Court gained its name from George Francis Burrell who took over the New Chequers pub in the 1860s and converted it to a small brewery. During the early 1900s, as our boys grew up here, the brewery was still in operation and the premises had also become the Brewery Inn – it is now called The Jolly Brewer. Burrell’s Court site in 2014 Map Burrells Court, West Street The Court was situated to the east of the Inn and in 1911 contained 4 properties each with 3 rooms. The same families were in Numbers 2, 3 and 4 in 1901 and in 1911 so these children grew up knowing each other. Mrs Ford at Number 1 had moved in sometime after 1901 when she had been left a widow with 7 children under 13. In 1901 there were 16 children aged 15 years and under living in Burrell’s Court and in 1911, 19 children who were 15 years and under. The total population of this small Court was 32 in 1911.