Cemetery Road By the middle of the 19th Century the churchyards in town were full and this was the only land granted outside the old town for development by the Marquis of Exeter. A Cemetery was established with a Cemetery chapel designed by Edward Browning in 1852. A new road was made and originally called Cemetery Road but later in 1950s it was renamed Radcliffe Road after William Radcliffe the founder of Stamford School and a beneficiary to the town. Housing was built along the road. A number of terraces and cottages were also built near the road including Brosley Cottages, Harcourt Terrace, St John’s Terrace, Newboult’s Cottages and Lindum Cottages.