St Peter’s Street

This was a socially mixed street. Joyce, the editor of the Stamford Mercury.  Mr Hayes, the owner of the carriage works and Doctor Mason lived here but along the street was Dixon’s Court and Exeter Court with overcrowded houses. Dixon’s Court was later to disappear under slum clearance schemes and Exeter Court was turned into desirable houses.
The street was self-sufficient. There were a number of pubs and shops to serve the locals, including a baker, a grocer, a shoemaker and a butcher. The Drill Hall was built in 1913 and some of the boys enlisted there. There were also two alms houses – Hopkins Hospital and Williamson’s Callis.

St Peters Street a

St Peters Street looking west

St Peters Street b

Exeter Court

Leave a Reply