8th December 2015 Frank Riley – 25 High Street Frank Riley’s father, Frank William Riley, was a butcher. The premises at 25 High Street had been a butcher’s shop for a long time before he took them over – the shop was started by the Lumby family, who built Lumby’s Terrace on Water Street. The property was quite big having 8 rooms in 1911. Frank William Riley Frank William’s mother – the former Frances Snodin 1827-1913 Frank William and Louise Rawlings married in 1888 at the Congregational Chapel, Stamford and probably took over the shop soon afterwards. Their first child, Hubert William was born in 1891 followed by Dorothy Mary in 1892 and Winifred Helen in 1893. Frank was born in 1894 and had one younger brother, Harold Snodin born 1900. Frank went to the Endowed School on St. Peter’s Hill and in 1907 won a scholarship to the Grammar School. His cousins George and Herbert (of Street Peter’s) followed him in gaining scholarships. In 1910 Frank’s scholarship was extended for another year so at the time of the census he was still at school, aged 16 years. Not long after the census, Frank’s father died and it seems likely that Frank’s mother and the rest of the family left Stamford. Hubert William joined the Royal Army Service Corps in 1912 and his pension records show that he was discharged as unfit for service in 1919, he married in Surrey and died in Kent.