Austin Street Austin Street This was always a residential street and there are still 29 houses today. The north side resulted from building at the bottom of gardens on St Peter’s Street. These were houses for workers.The people living here in 1911 were working in local businesses such as Martins, Blackstones, Williamson Cliff brick-makers and Godfreys timber merchants. Also on the north side there was All Saints’ School for Girls. There were large houses on the south side occupied in 1914 by Peasgood, a builder, and Charles Cutting, the owner of an electrical firm (now Cummins) and Evans a solicitor. At the end of the Austin Street, Austin Friars Lane goes down to Freemans’ Cottages and the Meadows. In 1911 it had far more houses than it does now in 2015.