Brazenose Lane In 1911 the row of houses at the southern end of Brazenose Lane probably looked similar to how it does now in 2015. They are typical late Victorian houses and were built before 1885 as they appear on the Ordnance Survey map drawn that year. Numbers 1 to 8 were built on the street and then there were 3 more behind at the upper end. On the 1911 census some are numbered as Brazenose Lane and some as Priory Buildings. For many years they were all known as Priory Buildings and today they are all called Brazenose Lane. Just above these houses was another row at right angles to the street. These were called Brazenose Cottages on the census but they came to be known as Brazenose Court. They may have been older and they were certainly smaller with 3 rooms each. They were uninhabited by 1940 and had been demolished by 1950. Where they were is now part of a Stamford School car park. Priory Buildings, Brazenose Lane On the east side of Brazenose Lane was the site of the medieval Grey Friary and there was no housing there until much later.