8th December 2015 Arthur Edward and Harry Medwell Colbert – 23 Scotgate In 1911 the Colberts were living at 23 Scotgate. Arthur Edward was 14 years old, Harry Medwell 12 years old and they had a younger brother Alfred Sidney aged 5 years. The older boys were both at school. Their father, Alfred, was a railway porter, probably for the Great Northern Railway, and their mother, Catherine Charlotte, a fish fryer working on her own account. The boys and their mother were all born in Stamford and the family were living at the same address in 1901. Their mother died in 1926 and a year later their father married again. His second wife was quite a bit younger than him and they went on to have 2 more sons and a daughter. They continued to live in Stamford where Alfred died in 1934 – his address then was 74 Conduit Road. Arthur Edward born 1897 Harry Meadwell Arthur Edward started his schooling at the Stamford Boy’s School, Recreation Ground Road (St Michael’s) but at the age of 9 years he won a scholarship to the Endowed School on St Peter’s Hill. No military records have been found but it is likely that he served and a Victory medal was awarded to an Arthur Colbert serving in the E Yorks Regiment. After the war he married Ethel Hopkins in Uppingham. Their son Douglas was born in Stamford in 1924 but they moved to Coventry soon after (perhaps after the death of Arthur’s mother and his father’s re-marriage). Arthur was living at 10 Somerville Rd, Coventry when he died in 1955. Harry Meadwell born 1899 Harry is listed among those recruited in Stamford in November 1914 to 4th Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment but his military records have not been found. He may have become a Private in the Northumberland Fusiliers or East Yorkshire Regiment and been awarded the Victory Medal. After the war he married Mabel Gilbey of Stamford and they had 2 daughters born in Stamford. Like his brother, Harry and his family moved to Saffron Walden soon after his mother’s death. He died there in 1934. Alfred Sidney died in 1932, probably unmarried. The front room of 23 Scotgate continued to be used as a fish & chip shop until World War 2. At this time there was still a stone sink and no bathroom.